Thursday, January 24, 2013

My Dream Job??

"We should neither eat, nor drink, nor sleep, but eat to God, and sleep to God, and work to God, and talk to God, do all to his glory and praise...." Richard Sibbes

When we moved to Murfreesboro to plant City Church many of the people coming with us needed a job. Once we got here we've had several of our covenant members lose jobs, desire new jobs and find them. In all of it I've heard my husband ask them, "What's your dream job?" "What do you want to do?"

This question has been bouncing around in my head for the last week or so. The question of a dream job. I know we probably all have passions, goals and things that make us happy. That we would love to turn into a dream job. But there's something else I've realized, once you/I find it, does it fulfill us? Does it truly make us happy?

Once I turned that question onto myself it became all the more personal. Am I doing what makes me happy? Am I passionate about what I do? Do I have my dream job?

Yes.

I am a wife and a mother. Both make me happy. Both fulfill me. But both also leave me drained, empty and frustrated many days.

Just the other day I was lamenting over the fact that everyday looks the same. Practically. I get up, make lunches, breakfasts, change diapers, wipe noses, correct behaviors, discipline my disobedient children, do homework, make snacks, make dinner, clean up said dinner, do bedtime and then relax, hopefully, with my husband.

But as I was sitting in my frustration I read something that jarred me awake. Everyday does look the same in a lot of ways. But because of Gods grace I have that day, to do all the above, but also to: hugs my kids when they wake up, kiss them goodbye as they walk out the door and trust God with them, laugh and play with my baby who changes everyday, greet my kids at the door when they safely make it home, cook dinner with my husband and talk about our day, eat dinner and enjoy conversation with my kids, rock my baby to sleep and sing to him and tell him over and over how much I love him, tuck my oldest into bed and say sweet dreams, enjoy and evening with my husband, just the two of us.

Yes I have my dream job. But that doesn't mean it will ever be all I need for happiness. I need Jesus to ultimately fulfill me, so that I can love my family well, serve them and do my job to the best of my ability. Trust that when I am weak, He is strong enough for the both of us. Let go of that blasted need for control and know that when my mind, body and soul are nourished I can face the mundane, chaotic and fun days of doing, my dream job.



No comments:

Post a Comment