Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Challenge

I like a challenge. I love to cook. I love my family. What do those have in common?
Well a month + ago Trevor and I decided we would put our oldest son Micah on a gluten free and dairy free diet (one way to determine if his intolerant). This became a huge challenge for me, but because of those 3 things, it was one I was willing to take on. What began as something to help Micah, we found very quickly we too liked the results of the diet, when we per-took.

I have stumbled along this last month trying varies flour mixes, milks substitutes, pancake mixes, etc. One night while in Barnes & Noble I found a cookbook, Cooking For Isaiah, Gluten Free & Dairy Free by Silvana Nardone. After I sat for an hour reading it. I fell in love with this woman. She has a heart for her son and making him dishes that taste the same as what we are used to. I trusted her recipes. I began to beg my husband for this book for Christmas. Whelp I got it!!!


While we were gone over Christmas break, I was itching to get home and start cooking. I decided I wanted to go through the cookbook Julie & Julia (reference to the movie) style.

My first order of business was to make Silvana's All-Purpose Flour. This will be from here on out the flour I use for all things containing flour.

Silvana's All-Purpose Flour

6 cups Bob's Red Mill white rice flour
3 cups Shiloh Farm's tapioca flour
1 1/2 cups Bob's Red Mill potato starch
1 Tbsp salt
2 Tbsp Bob's Red Mill xanthum gum

Whisk together.
And I made the cute containers as well...well all but one.

Join me if you like on a journey through cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment