Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Many of you may have heard me say, "I don't like to bake, but I love to cook." Yes, there is a difference. Baking calls for very precise measurements and actually following the directions of the recipe. With cooking, you can go more by your taste buds and add and take away as you wish, there's more freedom in cooking.

However, since our family has been gluten free I have had to bake more. I have found that I love it. In the past a can of baking powder would last me two years, then I would throw it away half full. On the other hand I buy herbs and spices monthly, because I use them daily. Now I am buying things like, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa way more often. Its been quite a shift, but one I think we are all enjoying...maybe a little to much, haha.

Banana Bread: This banana bread was very good and very moist. It had a hint of cinnamon in every bite, yummm.
Taste: 5
Difficulty: 2
Mom's Banana Bread by Silvana Nardone
Makes 1 loaf Prep Time 5 minutes Cook Time 50 minutes

1 1/4 cups Silvana's All-Purpose Flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups mashed bananas
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup vegetable oil


Last night I made Pumpkin Dumplings with Bacon and Asparagus. Because I am working my way through a cookbook I knew there may be things we would normally never eat, but that I want us to be adventurous and try. This was one of those things.

It actually was good, much like gnocchi, but much bigger. The size is where I would go differently if I were to ever make this again. Also, it taste just like a dumpling/noodle, not pumpkin puree. It had no taste of pumpkin, which I was kinda relieved by.

Pumpkin Dumplings with Bacon and Radicchio:
(I used asparagus, because Target didn't have radicchio)
Taste: 3
Difficulty: 2
I wish my bowl wasn't the same color as the dumplings,
but hopefully you can get an idea of what they look like.

Pumpkin Dumplings with Bacon and Radicchio by Silvana Nardone
Serves 4 Prep Time 25 mins Cook Time 20 mins

1 can pumpkin puree
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup Silvana's All-Purpose Flour
Salt
4 ounces (6 slices) thick-sliced bacon, chopped
1 medium onion chopped
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 small head radicchio sliced into 1/4 inch strips
2 Tbsp chopped fresh flat parsley

No comments:

Post a Comment