Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Gluten Free Resources

There are lots of resources out there for eating gluten free. As I run into people who are wanting, considering or heading into the gluten free world I want an easy place to point them. Since I have had the opportunity to try some I thought I would share my thoughts on a few. Not that I am an expert, not even close, just learning like everyone else.

Websites & Cookbooks I am smitten with:
  • Dish Towel Diaries - This is Silvana Nardone website. Author of Cooking For Isaiah Gluten and Dairy Free
  • Gluten Free Girl - Shauna is living with Celiac. I like her love for food and cooking. She is passionate. Author of Gluten Free Girl and The Chef
Products I am smitten with:
  • Udi's - They have the best bread I have found thus for. It is the only bread I can make a pb&j with and send with Micah to school. All other bread is only good if heated or toasted.
  • Pamela's - They have a good pancake/waffle mix. It doesn't have an aftertaste like some other mixes.
  • Bob's Red Mill - I use there white rice flour and potato starch (I use these flours to make my own all-purpose flour, using Silvana's mix). However, I have found that I do not like their All-Purpose flour.
  • Kinnikinnick - They have K-toos, their version of Oreo's, animal crackers, and a pretty decent bread.
  • Envirokidz - They have great granola bars, rice bars and cereal. My kids love these.
  • Shiloh Farms - I buy their tapioca flour in bulk online. It is an ingredient in the all-purpose flour I use.
  • Deboles - I use their rice pasta. Rice pasta can be a bit gummy, so always cook aldente, never overcook.
  • Ancient Harvest - I buy their quinoa pasta. It most resembles regular pasta to me.
  • Amy's - This has got to be my favorite brand thus far. Last but most certainly not least. I buys their frozen meals, soups, vegetables, pretty much anything I can find that they make I will try.
With all of these products, I would add that, they are expensive. They are small packages and make small portions. If you have time, scratch is always better tasting and less expensive. I make nearly everything from scratch. It can break the bank to buy a small bag of cookies for $5 and my kids eat them in 2 days time. However, if your short on time, these are good go toos.

Grocery Stores I shop at:
  • Super Target - I can get nearly everything at Target. They have a great selection.
  • Earthfare - I tend to only go here for the Ancient Harvest quinoa pasta, Earth Balance butter (we are also a dairy free household), Udi bread and Bob's Red Mill cornmeal.
  • Trader Joe's is good too.
Hope these help. Please let me know if you have questions or comments.


1 comment:

  1. http://www.skinnytaste.com
    This website also has gluten free recipes!

    ReplyDelete